Friday, January 27, 2012

All Roads Lead to Book Dirt: Baby Beatnik Edition

Book Dirt: for all your baby beatnik needs, apparently.

One of the unexpectedly hilarious perks of blogging comes from checking blog statistics. There among the page view numbers and traffic maps, I can also see which search terms led people my way.

In the case of Book Dirt, plenty of the folks who happened across my articles found them while entering the search terms “old books,” which means I must be doing something right.

Sometimes, though, the search terms that led readers to Book Dirt are downright confounding, leading me to scratch my head and wonder, “What on Earth were they looking for?”, “Why did they click Book Dirt in the search results?”  --or even, “Should I notify the F.B.I.?”

Here are some recent bizarre searches from folks who landed on this page, whether they meant to or not.

=== 

Search term: baby beatnik

What they were looking for: An overtly niche-specific doll? A hipster cartoon in the Muppet Babies vein? Parenting advice on raising bongo-playing progeny?

What they found: My post on beatnik spoofs, which, though it contains everything from Herman Munster spouting impromptu beat poetry to a hippie-fied Steve Buscemi, the post is 100% baby free.
===  

Search term: novel where man lives life from fortune cookie fortunes

What they were looking for: Probably Matt Kelsey who spent a year opening fortune cookies and letting the results guide his daily routine. While Matt’s (now defunct) blog isn’t exactly a novel, with so many bloggers getting book deals these days, it’s an easy mistake.

What they found: Book Dirt’s story on professional fortune cookie writers.
=== 
 
Search term: morgue metal table

What they were looking for: I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the searcher wanted a table for a morgue? Either that, or they have a whimsicle interior decorator. Turns out, one can buy morgue tables online, even morgue tables for two.

What they found: Write a Mystery Novel, WIn a Morgue, which still doesn’t have a winner yet, so keep voting.
 ===

Search term: pepe the king prawn cakes

What they were looking for: Given the number of Muppet confections photographed in blogs, a Pepe fan must have wanted an example of his favorite prawn star rendered in fondant. (I could only find one. It’s a group shot, and not the most flattering image of Pepe.)

What they found: The 10 Best Books Written by Muppets, which does include Pepe’s literary masterpiece, but is sadly devoid of recipes, unless you count Oscar’s Chunky Fish Ice Cream.
=== 

Search term: stuff related to Chinua Achebe

What they were looking for: Stuff related to Chinua Achebe, though this person needs a crash course on better search terms. Information about...? Facts on...?

What they found: Stuff related to Chinua Achebe, most notably his legal brouhaha with 50 Cent. Perhaps “stuff” isn’t the worst search term after all.
 ===


Stay tuned for more odd search terms, or even better: Subscribe to Book Dirt via RSS or email (see feeds to the right), and thumbs-up that Facebook icon while you’re at it for bonus bizarre Book Dirt bookishness.

Bloggers: Do you check your search term stats? What are some weird ones that led people to your blog?









8 comments:

  1. I don't check the search terms. I'm afraid of what I might find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't joking about wondering if I should sometimes alert the FBI! Search terms like "naked woman in a trunk" give me pause.

      Delete
  2. Most of mine are fairly relevant and straight forward. There was "cowboys toys"--I guessed somebody wanted to know what cowboys played with when they weren't herding cattle.
    Then there was "fortune teller globe dragon"--I have no idea what that's about.

    On the A to Z Blog a popular term was "a to z sex" --not surprising I guess.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too surprising, no. I get some bizarre racy ones, too.

      Delete
  3. I, and a few others, do a monthly wrap up of #YouFoundMeHow on the 1st every month. It's A LOT of fun...a little disturbing sometimes but always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some on your blog, Jane. Always a hoot! I used to just post mine on Facebook, but thought I'd try it out on the actual blog.

      Delete
  4. PS The baby beatnik photo is SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete