Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lost Horror Films Article in Rue Morgue Magazine (and a Book Pitch)

To bastardize Poltergeist: I’m baaack. Where have I been? Working on a magazine piece that I’m particularly proud of, a five-page feature that Rue Morgue laid out just beautifully. I'm thrilled with how it turned out, so if you’re near a newsstand this month, take a look at “The Ghosts of Horror Past: 25 Films Lost to the Sands of Time” in issue #124. 

Rue Morgue magazine, with a feature article by your Book Dirt hostess.



But wait, you say. If the issue is already out, couldn’t you have returned to blogging sooner? I could have, but while deep in the middle of researching missing films I remarked that I had enough information on each title that I could practically write an article on each one. I honed each one down to a neat paragraph, but the idea weighed heavily on me: could this be a book?

I think it could. So, while I’m still high on the subject matter, I’m putting together a pitch package for a book on lost films. Pitching non-fiction, while it doesn’t require writing the book ahead of time, does require writing enough to show your chops. I’m close to finishing the introduction and sample entries, and aim to start seriously pitching in a few weeks.

In the meantime, if anyone has tips on maintaining a blog while meeting magazine deadlines (and pitching a book), I’m all ears.

3 comments:

  1. I've been out on the road so I missed your return. Glad to see you back. The book idea sounds pretty good.

    Maintaining a blog while away? I'm doing it right now. Check out my Hijack This Blog! project I've currently got going. Guest posts until September and beyond. It's been pretty cool. I've had some great guests so far and some exciting things to come. I'm not totally free from the blog, but I'm putting in a lot less time than I had been.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the book. It's a good idea.

    I have no idea how to multitask, something I simply can't do. But, if you decide to concentrate on the book, don't stay away from blogging too long because I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance... I am not sure how to find it, but I think it's always temporary, anyway. And that's okay. Sometimes blogging will call me more, sometimes writing new material, sometimes editing - and oh, yeah, there's the friends and family thing getting in the way. So, I am lagging too on blogging (and visiting back, the shame!) but I know I will catch up, eventually.

    Or, not, and that too will be okay.

    ReplyDelete