Monday, August 26, 2013

Does Your Bikini Match Your Book?

When I was young and dumb, I went through a phase where I would order a beer to match whatever I was wearing. (I said I was dumb.) Because I wore black almost exclusively, it was pretty much always the same beer. I can’t for the life of me think of what it was -- I could swear it was the dark version of something common in the U.S. in the 1980s -- but I do know it was a dark bottle with a distinctly black label.


While I ultimately abandoned matching triple bocks to frocks, I’m still smitten with the ridiculous genius of Matchbook. The brainchild of Kate Imbach, a documentary filmmaker and former marketing exec, the site features literary book covers juxtaposed with carefully-chosen swimwear in a complementary design.


Matchbook hasn’t had an update in awhile, but I don’t mind. The archive that’s there is practically an art piece in itself. Check out some of my favorites below, and if you like what you see, peruse the whole archive.

A stunningly perfect book cover/swimwear match. What would Vonnegut say?

Black and gold art deco design for a flapper turned beach bum.

I think the real punishment is trying to get into this swimsuit.

It may not be literature, but the match is worthy of one of Collins' fictional Hollywood wives.

"Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can." -- Holden Caulfield

Oh, the irony.

Such a good match, it's startling. I think I like the swimsuit better than I liked the book, though.

Op art for the beach and the brain.

10 comments:

  1. Me? Bikini? I don't think so.

    This post reminded me of my clothes matching joke I have ongoing with my wife. She's bought me several different brands of after shave and cologne. Sometimes if I'm getting ready to go somewhere I'll ask here which after shave/cologne matches whatever it is that I'm wearing.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do choose my perfumes based on my style of dress, so maybe it's not that far-fetched. Although it's possible I'm just nuts.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome idea (the website, not actually trying to match your swimsuit to your current read).

    I'm in agreement with you on the bondage bathing suit - I cannot IMAGINE trying to put it on without two assistants and even then the possibility for error is tremendous. Not to mention, who would want those tan lines? But it would be entertaining to see someone try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, how do you keep the wrong parts from going through the wrong openings? I have a shirt with one simple criss-cross thing on it, and I can't get into it without some kind of macrame disaster every time.

      Delete
  3. Carling Black Label? And, of course, remember to take the car that matches the sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was something that was almost completely black. It's killing me. We didn't have as many beer options back then (not in Tennesse, anyway), so you'd think I could reason it out.

      Delete
  4. Bizarre in a kind of great way I admit - and there I was, impressed by the fact that Stephen Fry had the flypaper in the hardback of his memoir THE FRY CHRONICLES matching his socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know that! If I ever get a book published, maybe I'll match it to my pantyhose.

      Delete
  5. The link to the site ('whole archive') is borked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just updated it. As the site is old, though, I can't guarantee how long it will stay workable.

      Delete