Saturday, October 26, 2013

Can You Spot All Five of the Fiction Authors in This Simpsons Intro?



The Simpsons annual Treehouse of Horror episode that aired earlier this month was the series’ 24th horror-themed episode for the Halloween season (feel old?). In the intro, scared up by director Guillermo del Toro, homage is paid to a whole host of horror flicks, with visual references to B-movies, classics, del Toro’s own films, and everything else in between. (I was particularly pleased to see actor Rondo Hatton, who lends his name to the horror research award for which I was nominated last year.)

Screenshot featuring Rondo Hatton (with shovel) and assorted other movie friends.

Keen-eyed book fans may be able to spot some of their favorite horror authors in the sequence—not just references to their works (you can see those, too), but depictions of the authors themselves. There are exactly five, and if you’re having trouble coming up with names, here’s a clue: some of them are juxtaposed with characters they created.


Can you find and name all five of the horror writers depicted in the video below? 




Bonus points if you spotted the reference to a lost film (regular readers know lost films are my second passion). 

You can check your answers in the second embedded video from Movie Pilot, with all of the references tagged.

Update: it appears the video with the references tagged plays automatically. I've removed it due to the annoyance factor, but you can still find it at this link.





Did you find them all? Which authors would you like to have seen included?

6 comments:

  1. Bloody Hell Hell! Well, I only got four out of five authors sad to relate (frankly got Lovecraft mixed up with Rod Serling ...) - what, no Kolchak? tut tut ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Lovecraft was the most poorly rendered. He could have been just about anybody. There was a Cthulhu appearance earlier in the intro--they should have placed him nearby.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it sad that I have never seen one episode of THE SIMPSONS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call it sad. You've read more than many people do in a lifetime.

      Delete
  3. Well, I got Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock, and the rest... blew right by me. On the second take, I got Ray Bradbury, but... Yeesh, am I under-horrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of Hitchcock as an author, but he did lend his name to scads of anthologies, so I'll give you a bonus point.

      Delete