Monday, November 4, 2013

Needful Things: Hitchcock Posters in the Style of Penguin Crime Novels



The handmade-goods website Etsy is better known for crafty things—handmade jewelry, quirky knitted caps, etc.—but now and then, I’m stunned by some incredible design. A prime example comes from a seller known as Grimboid, who sells posters through Etsy in a shop called Headfuzz.

Check out this one, an original design for Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window:

Original poster design for Hitchcock's Rear Window.



I’m particularly fond of the one above, as the film is based on a story by one of my favorite noir writers, Cornell Woolrich. The others in the poster series are equally great:

Poster for Rope. Note the modified Penguin Crime logo.
 
Dial M for Murder. I love the simple, but evocative design.



If you haven’t noticed, the posters are brilliant modern interpretations of the old Penguin Crime book covers, substituting classic crime films and directors for books and authors. Any true fan of crime fiction will remember them. The cover art was stark, and sometimes fairly weird. Here are some of my favorite covers to jog your memory:

 
Jean Potts' Death of a Stray Cat, Penguin Crime edition.
 
Sayers and Simenon.
 
Stark cover design for a Stanley Ellin novel.


These covers show some of the trippier Penguin Crime designs.


The prints come in several sizes, and can be made to order in any measurement. The seller offers a special deal on orders of three. Visit the shop for more information.

What film would you like to see in the style of a Penguin Crime cover?



Note on the new series:

As a book lover, most of my discretionary income goes towards books. Now and then, though, I get all a-swoon over things book related as well. I’ll be collecting some of them here, so if you’re on the lookout for bookish holiday gifts, keep an eye peeled for the Needful Things tag.







14 comments:

  1. That does not look like a stray cat on the one cover.

    I like these - something about the starkness, and the almost violent green, draws me in more than a photo or elaborate graphic design. Can't suggest another novel for the treatment as I don't much read thrillers or true crime, but they could almost entice me into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked the Penguin Crime designs. They hint, rather than tell.

      Delete
  2. Those Hitchcock covers share the common element of taking a close-up view. So, what other Hitchcock movies would lend themselves to such treatment? How about Shadow of a Doubt--just to see which element the designer chose to emphasize.
    =================================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice pick. And a less obvious one, too.

      Delete
  3. All three fav movies of mine! I agree Shadow of a doubt would be interesting to see. I also adored the off beat Hitchcock movie The Trouble with Harry. Maybe that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. your needful things tag maybe very dangerous for me to follow!

      Delete
    2. I love THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY. Shirley Maclaine is so charming in it. I hope you like the stuff I'll be featuring.

      Delete
  4. For The Trouble With Harry, I'd like to see a design that evokes the professor with the book in his hand stumbling over Harry's body, Or, somehow, Miss Gravely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those would both be cool. I sent the designer a link to a post. Maybe he'll be inspired by the suggestions.

      Delete
  5. Neat poster idea. I like the simplicity of them. Definitely a green theme going on there. Might fit in with my wife's green decorating trend, but we don't have any space left on our walls--unless we started wallpapering with posters.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the green Penguin Crime covers. It makes them easy to spot in used bookstores!

      Delete
  6. These are wonderful Kelly - I bet they don;t ship to the UK but I shall look into it, thanks - and I;m glad to say that I won at least some fo the original Penguins you refer to - lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Looks like UK is the default setting - yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You beat me to it! You get a better shipping deal than I do.

      Delete