Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Needful Things: Matches Made to Look Like Banned Books

The Out of Print shop is mainly known for its book and author-related tee shirts, but what’s really got me squealing right now is a box of matches. I’m a sucker for tiny things as well as setting things on fire, so these matches particularly strike my fancy.

Boxed set of banned books matches, from Out of Print.


The match boxes are made to resemble miniature versions of banned or challenged books. The set of five comes in its own little case for $8.00.

The featured titles are Slaughterhouse-Five, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Black Beauty, Song of Solomon, and—perhaps best of all—Fahrenheit 451. 


Each box/book has its own unique design.




Each box of matches is illustrated with lovely vintage cover art, and on the back, there's text with information related to that particular title’s controversy. 

Reverse of the match box for Black Beauty.


Buying a set of the literary matchbooks helps send books to a community in need, so order a few extra as stocking stuffers. (Ordering information)



8 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd use the matches. I used to have a matchbook collection but I used all the matches when I started smoking. Oh well, they were only matches from motels and a few restaurants--back when they gave those things away.

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're more for having than for lighting.

      Delete
  2. These are just fabulous - thanks Kelly - so weird and utterly wonderful at the same time - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love weird tiny things. I should get a whole extra tiny house to keep them in.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I LOVE these! I can think of so many people who would love these. Thanks for sharing. I've posted about Out of Print before but somehow missed these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they were there the last time I looked at the site. I'm glad I spotted them.

      Delete
  4. This is cool! I have heard of matchbox Bibles and other stuff but not this. Thanks for sharing, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tiny books. Not the dumb gift books you see at Hallmark and whatnot, but real ones. I'm a sucker.

      Delete