Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Free Bin: Shia LaBeouf Is a Plagiarising Plagiarist Edition


It’s been a heck of a week, between holidays and a raging flu, so this installment is a day late. What it lacks in timeliness, it makes up for in drama. 

LaBeouf's film opens with the exact same words. What follows is pretty much a shot-by-shot version of the comic.


  • I can’t help but follow the circus that actor Shia LaBeouf has created by lifting a Daniel Clowes graphic novella for his film HowardCantour.com. It’s one of the most blatant creative thefts I can recall in history, as LaBeouf’s film uses entire monologues verbatim from Clowes’ work. The plot thickened after the actor was discovered to have also copied his apology from Yahoo Answers, and then lifted a subsequent apology directly from Tiger Woods. Now it seems that LaBeouf’s publishing imprint took its about-page info from PictureBox, right down to the same typographical errors. Is there an award for cutting-and-pasting skills?

  • Three weeks before Nabokov’s Lolita was published, Dorothy Parker had a short story in The New Yorker called, of all things, “Lolita.” The subject? An older man with a teen bride. Nabokov was not pleased.

 
 
  • Abe Books’ annual list of their 25 most expensive book sales is always intriguing, but this year’s is particularly interesting: it’s the only one in my recent memory to include a hand-written spell book.



Have you bought any expensive books lately? Has Shia LaBeouf stolen anything from you? Tell me more.



13 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon Kelly - and that story about LaBeouf is just hilarious - maybe he wants to be the next Joaquin Phoenix! Have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what he'd thinking. It's pathological.

      Delete
  2. I had not heard about the Shia LaBeouf thing at all. That is what I get for just thinking about mysteries all the time. And Dorothy Parker and Nabakov writing about the same thing. That is just bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that she was privy to his manuscript. It's more a case of inspiration than plagiarism, but it's not cool that his novel was shown around to the publisher's friends. I think he had every right to be upset.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are up and at 'em again! Great links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read that the 2013 flu vaccine is only 56% effective! Yikes! Hope your recovery is quick. I paid $40 each for CAPTAIN FUTURE, VOLUME 3 and THE COLLECTED EDMOND HAMILTON, VOLUME 4 by Edmond Hamilton, both published by Haffner Press. I'm a big supporter of small presses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was a spam email at first. It has all the earmarks! I'm glad to hear you support small presses.

      Delete
  5. The news that reading novels boosts brain function leads me to believe I wouldn't be able to function without them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered what happened to Quentin Rowan! He's working as Shia LaBeouf's publicist cum apologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! At least he 'fessed up, far as I remember.

      Delete
  7. And now, fwiw, Shia LB wants to take Clowes's ball and go home. Or so he whines electronically.

    http://www.fembuzz.co.uk/shia-labeouf-announces-retirement-following-plagiarism-row-1317181_39982

    ReplyDelete