Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Book Preview: Upcoming Titles from King, Ellroy, Cronenberg

There aren’t a lot of books I get excited about before they’re even published—my regular readers know that a lot of what I read is 50 years old or more—but there are a few titles on the horizon this year that have me just about peeing my pants. They’re all available for pre-order, so if you’re feeling just as incontinent, go ahead and nab them. They’ll be in your mailbox on publishing day, before all the slugabeds can get them at the bookstore.



James Ellroy’s Perfidia (September 2014)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307956997/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0307956997&linkCode=as2&tag=book0a46-20



It’s been years since a new Ellroy novel has come out (five, if you’re counting), so the announcement of a new title is exciting on its own. What’s even more exciting is the fact that Ellroy is touting Perfidia as the first book in a second L.A. Quartet. That means not only three more upcoming books, but also that they’ll undoubtedly have the scope, historical weirdness, and unflinching brutality of the four previous connected books. In an open letter on his agent’s website, Ellroy says we can expect some of the characters to reappear, too. (Read more/pre-order)



Stephen King’s Mr. Mercedes (June 2014)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1476754454/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1476754454&linkCode=as2&tag=book0a46-20


This is one of two books King is releasing in 2014, following two big titles last year (Joyland and Dr. Sleep). While die-hard fans will also want to pre-order Revival, it’s Mr. Mercedes that most intrigues me. I enjoy King the most when he’s focused on real-life fears rather than the supernatural, and this novel seems grounded in reality at its most harsh: a mass murderer with plans to kill again, and the cop trying to prevent another atrocity before it happens. (Read more/pre-order)



David Cronenberg’s Consumed (September 2014)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416596135/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1416596135&linkCode=as2&tag=book0a46-20




Even if you’re not among the coolest people who have seen all of Cronenberg’s early films, you’ve got to appreciate him as a writer. He’s successfully adapted the works of some modern literary greats into original screenplays, taking on Don DeLillo (Cosmopolis), J.G. Ballard (Crash), and William S. Burroughs (Naked Lunch). Now he’s written his own novel, and while it’s his first, the premise is not only promising, but also suitably Cronenberg-ish. Check out the description that hooked me in an instant. (Read more/pre-order)


Do you plan to read any of these forthcoming titles? Anything you’re anticipating in 2014?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Kelly - must admit, I could definitely see myself reading all of these and like you, tend to prefer King when he is less supernaturally-inclined - which reminds me, I haven't tackled JOYLAND yet . hmmm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. There were a lot of complaints among the Hard Case Crime fans that it doesn't really fit as a HCC title, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It went a lot deeper into the characters than a lot of the typical titles, but there was still some crime. And how can you not love a carnival setting?

      Delete
    2. If you like crime and carnivals, I recommend Fredric Brown's 1947 classic The Fabulous Clipjoint.

      Delete
    3. That's one of those books I've owned since even before I was into crime (bought the paperback for the cover art, can you imagine?). I'll get to it some day.

      Delete
    4. It lives up to its reputation. It works as a coming-of-age story as well as a crime story, maybe even better, And the glimpses of life in Chicago in the 1940s are not to be missed.

      Delete
  2. You mean Perfidia won’t be a cozy? And now, for your listening pleasure …
    =================================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know which would be less likely: Ellroy writing a cozy, or me recommending one. Thanks for the link—that was quite pleasant.

      Delete
  3. Kelly, four out of five books I read are written in the 19th and 20th centuries and a lot of it is vintage stuff. My reading of contemporary or round-the-corner books is near zero. I'm trying to reverse the order a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to do the same. I managed a few modern books last year, and I'd like to add to that number. It's worth noting, I think, that King has been writing for forty years now, and Ellroy more than thirty.

      Delete
    2. I also sometimes I ought to read more contemporary writing.

      Then I think, nah, I'll read what shows the most promise of being good or better, no matter in which historical era it appeared.

      Delete
  4. Cronenberg's novel might be interesting to check out. I've enjoyed his films and was especially glad to see him take on Ballard's Crash.

    I too prefer stories about real life fears to supernatural. They're scarier.

    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Cronenberg book is good. I trust him artistically, but a novel is a different kind of animal.

      Delete