Friday, April 25, 2014

The Busy Life of a Freelancer: What I’ve Been Working On

I know, I know, my posts have been sparse the last couple of weeks. I’m working hard at dozens of things, and there are moments when I have so many deadlines at once that I have to remind myself that this is what I wanted (and it is). I hope I can ultimately hone my productivity skills to allow for regular posts during a crunch, but in the meantime, here’s what’s been distracting me:

  • Preparing for a residency. I mentioned before that I have a writer’s residency coming up, which will allow me time and solitude to work on my book on lost films. It’s only a few days away now, so I’m doing last-minute research in order to be ready to just write, write, write.

  • Interviewing Tippi Hedren. Yes, her. It was an incredible and humbling experience, and I’ll be writing it up for a magazine when I get back from the residency. I can’t wait to tell you more.

  • Blogging for a design retailer. One of my regular gigs now is blogging three times a week on design topics. It’s a lot of fun, and I get to generate my own ideas, like this homage to the Olivetti typewriter

  • Ghostwriting. I’m contractually obligated not to reveal that I’m the writer behind some of my work, but of late, I’ve written style guides for a famous shoe company, created recipes and entertaining ideas for a seafood brand, and written what seems like a million city guides for a glitzy travel destination.

And that’s not all. Heavens, no. But that’s a lot of my writing life lately, and it’s of my own making. Yo ho, yo ho, a freelancer’s life for me.



I’ll be absent for a short while during my residency, so peruse the archive if you need reading material, or visit one of the cool sites listed on my sidebar. I could also use advice on maintaining a blog in the middle of a work avalanche, if you have any to leave.





15 comments:

  1. My suggestion for maintining the blog is this. Write a few short pieces when you have time and then schedule them to appear over the period of your residency by using the Schedule function in the Posting section.

    The Tippi Hedren interview must have been a blast. Was it an in person interview or via email/phone? In person I'd've been a tongue tied, blathering mess. I'm still easily starstruck by certain celebs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should learn to write shorter pieces in general, and I could probably post more frequently. I don't know if I'll have time to schedule posts before I go, but maybe I'll try. I would be nervous that they wouldn't post properly.

      I interviewed Ms. Hedren by phone, but I still felt like a blathering mess. I had just rewatched MARNIE the night before the interview, and to hear that same voice on the line was almost startling. She was so nice, though.

      Delete
  2. I admire you for work ethic. I wish I had some advice on maintaining a blog in addition to all the writing assignments, but I don’t. My only advice is be careful and don’t over do over work yourself.

    Good luck with all your assignment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but it takes a lot for me to have ANY work ethic. I tend towards being disorganized, so I've had to force myself to have a schedule to freelance with success.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It's always nice to have new followers.

      Delete
  4. Kelly, you are amazing! Here's to a wonderfully relaxing, constructive residency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was both of those things. I got so much done. It tempts me to ditch the wi-fi when I'm working at home.

      Delete
  5. Hope the residence goes really well (can't wait to read the book Kelly) - when do you think you'll be back? And kudos on all the great sounding projects and am very envious of you having spoken to la Hedren - I probably would have dissoved into a gooey mass on the other end fo the line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only a week, but without wi-fi in the middle of the woods, I managed to get a couple of months worth of work done.

      I WAS a gooey mass on the phone. Transcribing it is painful, because she sounds so wonderful while I sound like some kind of drooling maniac.

      Delete
  6. You're doing what you need to be doing. This blogging is essentially biding time. Important for some things, but it's better to do the things that provide the immediate income. Sounds like you have some great stuff going.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved to hear you say that. You're so consistent with your blogging that I feel a little embarrassed at my inability to do it as regularly.

      Delete
  7. How exciting! I can't wait until you write about your residency experience, and wish you the best of luck. You're living the dream (one of mine, anyway). :) And continued success with the freelancing. When it rains, it pours, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually rained and poured quite a lot during the residency. Didn't matter: I was holed up to write, anyhow. If it's your dream, you should apply for one of the Wildacres residencies. It's a pretty painless procedure.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the residency. We’ll just look at pictures while you’re gone.
    =================================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete