Friday, August 8, 2014

Corrosion by Jon Bassoff Is .99 on Amazon, and You Really, Really Need to Buy It

Jon Bassoff’s Corrosion is on special in the Kindle edition for .99 for a couple of days, and I’d like to remind Book Dirt readers and noir fans that this is a book I raved about at full price. I chose Bassoff’s debut novel as one of my top five reads in last year’s “best” list.

Corrosion: a must for noir fans, especially at this price. Click for more info.

My blurb from the round-up:

She was less than human, and aren’t we all.” - Joseph Downs in Corrosion.


I recently reviewed this psycho-noir from independent publisher DarkFuse for Hellnotes, where I agreed with others who have called Bassoff a cross between Jim Thompson and David Lynch, though I threw in Flannery O’Connor for good measure. The truth is, no string of literary comparisons are going to tell you enough, because this debut author has a singular voice, and he’s written a hell of a disturbing novel—one that digs down into the roots of depravity, violence, and obsession. (It’s just occurred to me that I could make an additional comparison: to Iain Banks’ The Wasp Factory, another book that grows more unsettling as history is revealed.) The book opens with Joseph Downs, a war veteran with a horribly-scarred face, having vehicle trouble in a small town he’d meant to pass through. Who Downs is, how he got that way, what he’s done, and what he will do, are all things that reveal the very origins of evil, and the repercussions of growing up damaged.

You can also read my full review of Corrosion at Hellnotes.

There won’t be a better time to nab this one, and I highly recommend reading it before Bassoff’s Factory Town comes out this fall. Don’t have a Kindle? Spring for the paperback. It’s worth it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment